"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother's Day

With Mother's Day coming up this weekend, I'm reflecting on some of the things I have learned in the almost 4 years I have had this job.

Some of them include:

  • Never, NEVER leave permanent markers accessible to a toddler. Even if you think they never look in THAT spot in THAT drawer.
    They will open the drawer. They will find the marker. They. will. use. it. It is amazing what can be accomplished while you spend 5 minutes in front of a running washer/dryer.


(He also "decorated" our white fireplace surround, too.)

  • If they scribble on their face with permanent marker, be sure and take a picture for later evidence of why they in fact are the cause of your gray hair.
  • Clean clothes (for you or the baby) or running late getting somewhere will easily prompt a baby's gag reflex.



  • Don't get upset if the ONLY way a child will smile is by contorting their face until it is no longer "pretty." One day those pictures won't seem "ruined" but instead a wonderful souvenir of the stinker at that age.



  • A bouncy seat/swing will be worth its weight in gold when it is the only place your child will sleep. You would rather run out of milk and bread than batteries.

  • It's sometimes more enjoyable to buy clothes, drive home, try them on, plan another trip to the mall, drive back to the store and return the items that you didn't like, than to take 10 minutes in a dressing room with a child in an unmoving stroller.
  • It's a good idea to hide "mommy chocolate" or you will have to share with people who don't appreciate it -- that's what smarties are for.
  • Teach your children to do as you say, not as you do. ;)

  • Sometimes it's okay to splash in the tub. It's just water. Why do you have 27 towels, anyway?


  • Don't insult yourself too much if over-indulging in "mommy chocolate" and the like leads to you gaining weight. No matter what your health goals, you should still be respectful to your child's mother. Besides, they always think she is beautiful.

  • Children will be more excited to see grandparents than parents walk in the door. You will be the one they call out for in the middle of the night, though.





There a lot more lessons I have learned as a mother but because I AM a mother I have to go now. I'm starting my day with the two sweetest "teachers" in the world. Well, at least in my book. :)

Leave a comment and share a lesson YOU have learned. If you don't have children, share something you learned from your mother!

Happy Mother's Day, Mama! Thank you for wiping away all the nasty bodily fluids you encountered times 3! Also, thank you for not letting us chew gum, even when we whined.

I love you.

2 comments:

Jana said...

I love how no matter how upset and mad you get when your child doesn't behave or when they talk back, that all it takes to forget it is a sweet smile or a genuine hug or a, "Mommy, I love you".
Children know how to melt our hearts.
I also love that through the years my mother has become my best friend. She is truly there for me and my family no matter what.
Happy Mother's Day Cayce!! You are a GREAT Mom!!

Cayce said...

Yes, Jana, it is so easy for them to melt our hearts, isn't it? Hopefully they never figure out just how much they can get away with. ;)
You're sweet -- and a great mom! I love the bookcase you and Brandon built, btw. Happy Mother's Day to you, too!