"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Sunday, March 25, 2012

An update on predictions

I wrote this when BabyCakes was 9 months old. Granted it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but at the time she really was that easy of a child.  I've gone back and added commentary (italicized in yellow) about how those predictions have turned out thus far.


From the post titled "Behind These Blue Eyes" from September 2010...

BabyCakes, you have been an angel baby. Born with a true knot in your umbilical cord, it's amazing that you survived and thrived. You are taking a nap right now, so I'm going to make a few predictions for our near future with you:

I think you will never throw tantrums. You will happily put away your toys when asked and socks will never "hurt" your feet.
 In the throes of the terrible twos, you throw daily hourly tantrums when your majesty doesn't get your way.
Although you can work an iPad like an Apple Genius, you feign ignorance at the meaning of "Put away your toys."





You will eagerly brush your teeth and hang up your wet towel after bathing. After putting your pajamas on without asking, you will request to go to bed early.

The only thing you like about brushing your teeth is sucking the toothpaste off the bristles. 
After a bath your wet towel is left on the floor while you squeal and run naked throughout the house.
Don't even get me started on your bedtime resistance.  Karma is a bitch and I'm feeling the pain my own parents felt.



You will always wear the cute outfits I pick out and you will never chew gum in church.

No gum in church yet, well no gum period.  You still wear most of the outfits I pick out but they are quickly accessorized with food particles, most of which are moist.



You will never embarrass me in a grocery store and will leave every hair bow I put in your hair, right where it was placed.

Last week I carried you out of the school with you over my shoulder, kicking and screaming for your brother.  This wasn't a grocery store, but it was embarrassing nonetheless.  (Even if it was a tad sweet that you wanted BigBoy that much.)
Bows -- HAHA.  You've mastered the art of stealth bow-ripping, and the community is now littered with the remains of my old bow addiction.




And last but not least, you will shatter all my delusional expectations and leave the world better for the fact that BabyCakes was here.

This is very true.  I can't wait to see the other ways you will surprise me, stinker!

3 comments:

A Bunch of Hicks said...

Ohhhhh, how I wish I could tell you it gets better......

Buuuutttt, I carried Audrey to the Jeep today kicking and screaming because I wouldn't buy her a skirt. And she cried most of the way home because we couldn't go to the cabbage patch hospital. (We were not even in the vicinity...)
The only reason I have for it is... strong willed little ladies...

Daddy said...

I still miss you being 2, tantrums and all. It's all worth it in the end. I can't imagine my life without you and your sisters. I know you love her, but they sure can test you, don't they?! Hang in there, one day she will be 30 and this will all be behind you :)
Love you!

Cayce said...

I can't wait to take BabyCakes to Babyland General Hospital!
Oh and Daddy, she's really not that bad She's just TWO. :)