"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Reflections

This morning I walked in my bathroom, turned on the water for my shower, and took off my clothes.
I stood there looking in the mirror and realized a few things about myself:

My belly may be soft and full, but my gut tells me I can achieve anything I work hard enough for.

My face may not be on magazine covers, but it is clear, bright, and looking to the future.

My hair may be not be smooth and shiny, but I see the same curly wildness in my beautiful daughter.

My eyes may need glasses or contacts, but when I look to God no correction is needed.

My feet may be big and flat, but they help me stand firm in what I believe.

My arms may not be toned, but they can lift others up and open wide enough to give with a generous spirit.

My breasts may sag from weight and child-bearing, but underneath are clear lungs and a healthy heart fueling my days.

My mouth may not always say the right thing, but it is quick to laugh, smile, compliment, and apologize.

My hands may have scars and unkempt nails, but they can protect my children and soothe them with a gentle touch.

My head may not have ever worn a college graduation cap, but my curious mind keeps me an eternal student.

My legs may not be long and lean, but they are powerful enough to take me anywhere I want to go.

No, my body is not perfect, but it is the body God gave me and it tells my story. And for this I am completely grateful.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

love this post!
xoxo

Scary Mommy said...

My body tells a story, too. A may not always like the tale, but it's all mine.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Lisa Jacques Elam said...

Very nice!

Cayce said...

It's something I started thinking one day when I was on the treadmill at the gym and I could see my reflection in the unused tv in front of me. I'm glad y'all enjoyed it. :)