"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Thursday, November 11, 2010

My flowers

What is it about flowers? I've talked about my love for them on numerous occasions.
I bought these for myself at the grocery store yesterday.


Maybe it's the fact that they are present for so many important times in our lives.
Births, deaths, weddings, birthdays, sickness, achievement.
Poinsettias, carnations, roses, irises, tulips, daisies... I'll even take dandelions, or "dandies" as Biz used to call them. :)

They can heal wounds, heal friendships, and restore peace.

Job 14:2 says "He springs up like a flower and withers away; like a fleeting shadow, he does not endure."
That's us. We grow up and flourish, spreading our beauty out to the earth, and then just like that we are gone. God implores us to share our gifts of compassion, work, support, knowledge, and love.

Whenever I'm faced with a question as to whether I should do something, I try to answer it with my own personal motto: If I can, I should.
Now, I'm human so I don't always make the right decision, but I try as often as I can to give of myself what little I can offer.




I've received gifts of flowers lots of times, but sometimes if you want that beauty, you have go out and get it for yourself.
Maybe that's what they are to me -- a reminder that I am a creature of God and worthy of a beautiful life, but I have to make that life. If I sit around waiting for great things to happen, I'm going to be doing a lot of sitting.

So, yes, I'm going to keep giving myself flowers.
God says I'm worth it. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love this take on flowers! I couldn't agree more and think getting flowers for myself is a terrific way to feel God's worth! Thanks for sharing on ITG!

Daddy said...

Good words. It's time to forgive and go on. We never know how much time we will be given here on earth. We have to make the most of the time with the people we love and who love us. I know this from my life with my Mother. Family is so important, and in the end, it is all that really matters. God has tied all of us together for a reason.