"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Good Morning! Yes, it's back to work after the long weekend. I woke up first to a child and teddy bear being crammed in my face, and then a rain storm. I didn't really mind either one. :) If BigBoy hadn't climbed into bed with us it would have just been that much harder to pull my head off my perfectly sculpted pillow and away from the soothing rain sounds. BabyCakes was up, though, and she'd just slept over 12 hours straight so the last thing I was going to do was complain.



Later this morning we are venturing out in the rain for a second speech evaluation for BigBoy. He had one last Friday and it went soooo well. I can't even describe how well. In fact, they want to see him again to make sure they have a clear picture of his abilities. I knew he had come a long way. A year ago the closest thing to a sentence he said was "More juice please?" That was the longest phrase he had. "thank you" was still "tee-tee."



You know, even when BigBoy had very few words/sounds, we rarely had trouble knowing what he wanted. He's always had very clear likes and dislike, wants and desires. As a baby if he was not happy he definitely let us know! He could also be super-playful and affectionate.

If only we all had the freedom to express ourselves like a child. To hug a loved one or friend a little longer, or hug them at all; not to back down from something we REALLY REALLY want in life (even if it gets you in trouble with mommy and daddy); to say out loud what scares us and have the sense to stay away; or to enjoy a cookie so much that it makes you happier to give your last one away than eat it, because you know how much that person will love it.

An easy place to start is just by not holding sweet words and thought in. BigBoy never does and I try hard not to, too. If you think your friend looks pretty today, tell her. If your food is good, say so. Too simple but I think we often take for granted that other people know these things already. I was in line at the grocery store the other day and the cashier had an especially "I hate my job and I am miserable now just give me your damn bags"-kind of look on her face. As I was thinking this I also thought I liked her earrings. Usually I wouldn't notice because I'm caught up with the kids or unloading groceries from the cart, but I noticed on that day for some reason. She hadn't said Hi or anything -- she was just scanning the food, so I blurted out "I like your earrings." It completely caught her off guard. She looked up and said "what?" and I repeated "I like your earrings." Her face transformed into the biggest smile and from then on it was all "Oh, what pretty children you have! etc.,"

I'm not saying I'm perfect and all I do is go around spreadin the joy. :)
I just know that sometimes acting more like a child can help you be a more gracious adult.

No comments: