"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Meet Mort.

"Mort" (my name for him--it's unknown what his real name is) is a galapagos tortoise.



This weekend we went to the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, South Carolina. Mort lives here. It's unknown just how old he is because most galapagous tortoises live between 100-120 years but some live as long as 170 years.
There was something very humbling about Mort.



Only a widely-spaced gate or wooden posts divided the zoo tourist from the tortoises so lots of people had access to the animals. They would touch them and be loud and wild around them.
It felt very disrespectful, in my opinion. These animals have been around so long. It felt like I was up-close and personal with a living, breathing, piece of the earth and its history.



We were lucky to have some quiet time alone with Mort. When I was down on his level really looking at him, the look in his eye seemed so wise. I know that sounds silly, but I just felt so honored to be in this animal's presence. An animal of this age deserves respect.


I wanted him to tell me about his adventures on his island.
I wanted to see how he got to America.
I wanted to see the world that he's seen.

HE wanted to take a nap in the sun.



Thank you Mort, for making me feel like I was still that 7 year old girl with so many questions and a desire to see everything.

I think God would want us to keep some of our childish enthusiasm. After all, we're all still children to Him -- even Mort.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

nice post. like it. mort would too. :-)